Shawnee boasts small town charm with big city offerings. You'll enjoy name brand restaurants and retail as well as the best in home town dining and unique boutique shopping. Shawnee is rich in culture and home to world-class museums and attractions. Enjoy a spring day at the Lavender Farm or welcome fall with a trip to the Shawnee Maze and Pumpkin Patch. Shawnee has something for the whole family and we are anxious to roll out the red-carpet for you!
Shawnee is located in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma, United States. The population is 28,692 at the 2000 census. The city is the county seat of Pottawatomie county and part of the Micropolitan Statistical Area. Trade area is in excess of 300,000 people.
Located on Interstate 40, Shawnee is just 30 minutes east of downtown Oklahoma City attractions. To the east and northeast, the McClellan-Kerr Arkansas River Navigation System offers barge access to the Gulf of Mexico and the Great Lakes Region. The Shawnee Regional Airport features a 5,650 foot precision approach pilot controlled runway and an Instrument Landing System (ILS, GS/LOC, PAPI, GPS).
Shawnee has a sister city program with Nikaho in Akita, Japan due to the presence of a TDK plant in Shawnee. Every year junior high students from Shawnee visit Nikaho in July, and Japanese junior high students visit Shawnee in September.
The Santa Fe Depot houses the Pottawatomie County Historical Society and Museum. Buily in 1904, the Depot is the last of its kind on the old route to the West. The buildings Romanesque style resembles a castle and provides a memorable backdrop for photo enthusiasts. In fact, it is one of the most photographed buildings in Oklahoma.
Throughout the year the Depot plays host to a variety of special events including the Quilt Show, Woodcarver’s Festival, a Christmas Show and more. For more information, visit www.santafedepotmuseum.org.
Shawnee is located at 35°20′33″N 96°56′2″W / 35.3425°N 96.93389°W / 35.3425; -96.93389 (35.342474, -96.933775).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 44.7 square miles (115.7 km²).About 42.3 square miles (109.5 km²) of it is land and 2.4 square miles (6.2 km²) of it (5.37%) is water.
- Leroy Gordon Cooper, astronaut
- Melodie Crittenden, singer
- Darrien Gordon, football player
- Brad Henry, Governor of Oklahoma
- Robert H. Henry, Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals judge
- Brad Pitt, actor
- Jeremy Dawson, keyboardist for Shiny Toy Guns
- William O. Wooldridge, military
- Wade Hayes,country singer
- James Bridges, screenwriter & director
- Patrick Cobbs, running back & special teams player for the Miami Dolphins
- The Honorable Glenn Dale Carter, Retired, renowned child advocate and judicial authority
- Brandon Self, offensive lineman for the University of Wyoming Cowboys