Visit Shawnee Photo Contest Rules
Visit Shawnee, Inc., a non-profit organization located in Central Oklahoma, invites photographers of all types to enter our 1st annual photography competition. We’re looking to showcase the Shawnee area through evocative, full-color images that showcase the wonder, the uniqueness and the character of Shawnee and Pottawatomie County. Submitted photos will be used to promote the area as a travel destination via our website, social media, printed materials and more.
Contest Duration: September 17-30, 2017
Fan Favorite voting on Facebook: October 1-7, 2017
Winners announced: Winners will be notified via email and announced on Facebook and the Visit Shawnee, Inc. website on October 9, 2017
- Best in Show - One Grand Prize winner will receive a cash prize of $750
- Blue Ribbons- One blue ribbon winner will receive a cash prize of $500
- Red Ribbons- One red ribbon winner will receive a cash prize of $250
- Honorable Mention – Two honorable mention winners will receive a cash prize of $100
- Special Category: Life in Shawnee – One winner (chosen by a panel of judges from the City of Shawnee) will receive a cash prize of $500
- Special Category: Life in Shawnee – Honorable Mention – One winner (chosen by a panel of judges from the City of Shawnee) will receive a cash prize of $200
- Special Category: Fan Favorite – One winner (chosen by a fan vote) will receive a cash prize of $250
- Special Category: Random Drawn Winner – One winner chosen by random draw will receive a cash prize of $50
Special Categories : These categories focus on a particular subject. Each special category has a separate judging panel, and winners are not chosen by Visit Shawnee. Submitted entries are subject to the same rules, terms, and conditions as any other contest photo and are included in general judging for all prizes. Note: a minimum of five qualifying entries per category must be received before a winner will be awarded in a special category.
Special Category: Life in Shawnee
Grand Prize - $500
Honorable Mention - $200
Capture your favorite moments from life in Shawnee! Photos may be from festivals, restaurants, various outdoor activities- wherever you are having fun and enjoying Shawnee, we want to see! We’d love to see photos of city parks, schools, Shawnee Police and Fire Departments, or other city organizations. Share them with us for a chance to be used in future advertising and on the City of Shawnee’s new website – plus, a chance to win cash!
Special Category: Fan Favorite - $250
The general public will select a Fan Favorite Green Ribbon Winner by popular vote on Facebook following the submission deadline for the competition. The Fan Favorite Winner will receive a cash prize of $100. Being awarded Fan Favorite Winner does not preclude an entrant from winning a judges’ award.
Special Category: Random Draw – One non-winner selected by a random draw will receive a cash prize of $50
Rules, Terms, and Conditions
By submitting photos to the photography competition, you acknowledge that you have read and accept the rules and legal conditions of Visit Shawnee’s photo contest.
The purpose of the contest is to raise awareness of the Shawnee area as a travel destination and great place to live. Images will be judged on originality, technical excellence, composition, overall impact, artistic merit, and tourism/city marketing potential.
The contest is open to all U.S. residents at least 18 years of age. Staff, board members and immediate family of Visit Shawnee, Inc., and the City of Shawnee may not enter the contest.
Visit Shawnee, Inc. shall determine image eligibility, submission eligibility, and winner eligibility at its sole and absolute discretion. The City of Shawnee shall determine image eligibility, submission eligibility, and winner eligibility at its sole and absolute discretion for the “Life in Shawnee” category. All decisions made by the judges are final. Please note that no response shall be given to any inquiries or complaints regarding the judges' decisions.
- Must be a full color digital image.
- Photos must be taken in Shawnee, OK, Pottawatomie County, or the cities of: Prague, Meeker, Seminole or Harrah.
- Photos must be taken January 1, 2015 or later.
- Photos must have a resolution of 3 million pixels or greater (3 megapixels) to be made available upon request. Resolution can be calculated by multiplying the pixel width of the image with the pixel height.
- All photos which include identifiable people must include a model release form. You are responsible for obtaining the necessary releases from the individuals depicted, and must be able to provide copies of those releases to Visit Shawnee, Inc. upon request. Here is a link to a model release form and here's a website that details when and why you need model release forms.
- All photographs should accurately reflect the subject matter and the scene as it appeared.
- HDR photos are acceptable, but may not be excessively altered. Collage images are not allowed.
- Photos submissions may not be watermarked (no photography logos, no date time stamp etc.).
- If the image has been previously published, you must disclose when and where the photo appeared previously to Visit Shawnee, Inc. and upon request verify that you still retain non-exclusive rights to the material and that the Visit Shawnee, Inc. has license to use the image.
- You may enter up to 5 photographs per person.
- ONLY original work that is the property of the participating photographer may be submitted. Entrants must hold all applicable rights to the final image, including any retouching or other image processing.
- We reserve the right to disqualify any photo if we deem it inappropriate.
- By submitting your photo, you grant Visit Shawnee, Inc. and the City of Shawnee a royalty-free, nonexclusive right, in perpetuity, to:
- Use the photograph on the Internet in support of our mission.
- Use the photograph in Visit Shawnee, Inc.’s or the City of Shawnee’s non-commercial communications.
- Provide your photograph to other individuals and organizations for non-commercial use, Visit Shawnee, Inc.-related use in news stories, newsletters, reports, slide shows, displays, web pages, print materials and the like.
- All usage of your photo will be credited by listing ©person’s name
- By entering this contest, you agree to all of the terms and conditions relating to this contest and you are responsible for understanding your rights.
- By entering, participants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Visit Shawnee, Inc. and the City of Shawnee’s affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives, from any and all third party liability for any injuries, loss, claim, action, demand or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with the competition (collectively, "Losses"), including without limitation any third party claim for copyright infringement or a violation of an individual’s right to privacy and/or publicity right. The Contest is void where prohibited by law. The foregoing limitations also apply to the responsibilities borne by the organizer and, the judges and third parties participating in the contest in cooperation with the organizer.
- Entrants are responsible for the resolution of any legal issues arising from their works and agree to pay any costs thereby incurred.
- You agree that any and all disputes that cannot be resolved with Visit Shawnee, Inc., or the City of Shawnee and causes of action arising out of or connected with this Contest, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, before a court of competent jurisdiction located in Oklahoma, which court shall apply the laws of the State of Oklahoma without regard for rules of conflicts of law. IN ANY SUCH DISPUTE, PARTICIPANT SHALL NOT BE ENTITLED TO ANY PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ATTORNEYS' FEES, OR ANY DAMAGES OTHER THAN PARTICIPANT'S ACTUAL OUT-OF-POCKET EXPENSES (IF ANY) ASSOCIATED WITH PARTICIPATING IN THE CONTEST. YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY RIGHTS TO HAVE DAMAGES MULTIPLIED OR INCREASED. The Contest and the Visit Shawnee, Inc.’s web site are provided "as is" without warranty of any kind, either express or implied.
- Visit Shawnee, Inc. and the City of Shawnee are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by web site users or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the photo competition, or by any technical or human error that may occur in the processing of submissions to the photo competition, including but not limited to any misprints or typographical errors. Visit Shawnee, Inc. and the City of Shawnee assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Visit Shawnee, Inc. and the City of Shawnee are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer equipment, servers, providers, computer on-line systems, software, or failure of email on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any web site, including injury or damage to participant's or to any other person's computer related to or resulting from participating or uploading images or information in the photo contest.
- If, for any reason, the photo competition is not capable of completion as planned, including but not limited to, any reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the control of Visit Shawnee, Inc. or the City of Shawnee that corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the photo competition, Visit Shawnee, Inc. and the City of Shawnee reserve the right at its sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the photo competition.
- Visit Shawnee, Inc. will not be responsible for misdirected Votes. The use of robotic or automatic devices to submit votes is prohibited and Visit Shawnee reserves the right to nullify any and all such votes and to disqualify the responsible individual from voting. Entrants are prohibited from obtaining votes by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including, without limitation, offering prizes or other inducements to members of the public, as determined by Visit Shawnee in its sole discretion.